Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Time flies when you're getting stronger!

Today marks eight weeks since Cady's cord blood was re-infused into her. It's so hard to believe it's already been that long. That means SIXTEEN weeks ago found out she was going to Duke and we embarked on this journey. Wow...time really does fly, huh?

Everywhere we go, people are always asking us how she is doing so I thought now might be a good time to update her followers. But here's the thing: I'm not sure what to say. You see, Cady IS different. She's stronger. She's been trying harder to hold her head up when she is on her belly. She's been "talking" more (still just babble, but a lot more of it with different sounds) and even laughing - a real little 2-year-old giggle, that is. Not the sound she usually makes that's her version of a laugh. Her flexibility has improved, if only slightly.

And she seems to "get it" a lot more than she used to. She seems to understand more than she had and she tries to do the things you ask of her, even if she's not successful. Two months ago if I asked her for a kiss, she'd stare at me blankly or look the other way. Today, she smiles, looks me right in the eye and either reaches for my face or tends to lean my way.

Her actions are more purposeful and directed. When I tell her to give me her hands (something she has understood and attempted to do for months now), instead of passively reaching in my direction as she used to, she actually looks at my hands and shows she is purposefully trying to follow through.

And she seems happier! She's smiling more, less crabby. She enjoys playing with her therapists and when the nurses come to see her, she smiles at them instead of looking away as if to say, "Oh no, not you again."

BUT. (And yes, there is a but.) I can't help but wonder is it the blood? Or is it just her getting stronger? She HAD been making some strides just before the infusion. She was rolling around with greater ease. She had been holding her head up more.

And the answer is.... Who knows?? My gut? My gut says I can't wait to see what the next eight weeks bring!

Here's a recent picture of Cady and her big sister (who is now a kindergartener!!):

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the up-date! ♥ the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on her improvement- regardless of the source it's a wonderful thing! My son had a stroke in utero, and lives with CP. Please keep updating us whenever possible! And have you heard about CHASA (the children's hemiplegia & stroke association) It's a fabulous source of information for parents living with children affected by CP. www.chasa.org GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I signed up for updates on this.

    I am so happy to hear of Cady's progress. Even if it is just a little, it is undeniable. Cady is a strong girl and you are a wonderful mommy for all you have sacrificed for her. Thanks for updating.

    ReplyDelete